All roofs eventually reach the end of their life span despite years of careful maintenance, inspections and checkups. If you notice that your roof looks old and worn and you find yourself doing a lot of preventative maintenance on it, the time may be now to get a new roof. It’s important to act in a timely manner because if replacing an old roof is delayed, it could result in bigger problems down the road.
Here are some warning signs to be aware of that might indicate it’s time to replace your roof. You may notice many of these indicators or only a few, but it’s important to take these signs seriously as you assess the condition of your roof.
- You notice your roof’s shingle edges are cracked, curled or buckled or the shingle tabs are cupped.
- There are bald spots where granules are missing and you notice particles and pieces of shingles in your gutters.
- Your roof is over 20 years old and aesthetically it just looks old and worn.
- The flashing which seal around vents, skylights, and chimneys are cracked or broken.
- There is damage in the “roof valley, the the spot where two parts of your roof (sloping down) meet each other.
- There is obvious moss on the roof (and likewise mold and fungi) indicating there may be trapped moisture which results in larger issues.
- There is obvious shoddy workmanship. If your roof is covered in patches, or tiles and shingles seem to fit together awkwardly, then you can be fairly certain that your roof isn’t in great shape.
- A check of the attic reveals streams of light coming through cracks or holes in the roof.
- Using a flashlight in the attic, you identify dark stains or dark streaks on the underside of your roof or running down the walls from the roof.
- There are obvious signs of water damage and leaking on the inside of your home.
- The neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time experience the same types of weather conditions and can wear out in the same timeframe.
- Checking your own home improvement records gives you a good overview of your roof’s history including installation and repairs. This can make it clear to you that it’s time to replace the roof.
- You have a droopy, sagging roof with signs of trapped moisture, rotting boards, or sagging spots—especially at the lowest points in the roof.
If it’s time to replace your roof, don’t panic! Contact Redemption Roofing to learn more about the steps you can take now to protect your roof through regular roof maintenance and get information on roof replacement when the time comes. Redemption Roofing has 35-plus years of experience and offers a full range of commercial and residential roofing services, from new roof installation to roof repairs and more. We look forward to discussing your roofing needs and sharing our expertise with you. Please contact us at
Clear Lake: 281-205-1337
Hill Country: 830-214-7779
You can expect only the best when you choose Redemption Roofing.